A network of trails behind the camping areas winds through some of the most varied bush in the Reserve.
- Required fitness level – low
- Walk duration – 10 minutes to an hour
Approximately six minutes drive from the camping grounds, the Fern Walk leads you through the most intact part of the Reserve’s lowland forest. You’ll see kahikatea stands, nīkau palm groves, and stunning examples of ancient tōtara, rimu and rātā.
- Required fitness level – moderate
- Walk duration – 3-4 hours
Pettifar and Gilchrist Loop Tracks (CLOSED)
Approximately four minutes drive from the camping ground, the Pettifar and Gilchrist Loop Tracks lead you down a series of terraces to the Pohangina River. Both walks make use of the Old Coach Road, a section of the original horse and cart track along the Pohangina Valley.
- Required fitness level – low to moderate
- Walk duration – 1-2 hours for each loop track